Saturday, September 1, 2012

My Gardens






I could be a gardener.  If I had all the time in the world I could spend hours babying my plants, weeding even the tinyest of weeds so they don’t steal away any precious nutrients from my veggies and herbs and flowers.  I’d pluck off the bugs and worms that eat the leaves, one at a time.  I choose to spend my time doing other things and as such my garden takes on a more wild theme.  You can tell time was spent planting each seed and making sure they were watered early on, but as the summer goes on my gardens take on a mind of their own.  I love my gardens.  This year I planted kale, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic, chives, onions, okra, cucumbers, beets, lettuces, spinach, peppers, cabbage, carrots, soy beans, yard long beans, mouse melons, and probably a few other things that I have forgotten or have succumbed to lack of weeding or bugs.  Somewhere on this computer there are lots more pictures, but they are alluding me now.

I have lots of herbs which always do well and thankfully Nick enjoys gardening, too, so we do get a harvest.  He likes to dry them and I love when he hangs them from the 160 year old beams in the house.  Makes me wonder what this house was like back then.  If the people that lived here hung their herbs to dry here, too.  Imagine the smell of drying oregano, sage, lemon balm and mint.  He's recently added a few more plants to the herb garden.   The herbs are great because many of them return each year.

The kids love to snack in the garden and it delights me to know that they are eating healthy organic foods that are as fresh as they can be.
Our Russian Red Kale that the bugs like as much as we do.

Grampa shooting off vinegar and baking soda rockets with the garden in the background.

the big garden in the spring

this is an okra flower!!

my garlic harvest this year

Nicky helping pull radishes



No comments:

Post a Comment