Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Huckleberry Hill Co-op and panthers

     We will be starting a new home school venture this fall called the Huckleberry Hill Co-op.  It is a a conglomeration of like-minded people who all have a passion for caring for the Earth, and the things on it.  Each child will have a project.  Isn't that awesome? Not that they will have a project, but that that is all of the direction they will have to begin.  Not a lot of direction, (it does have to help the Earth), but that there are no boundaries.  They can do anything and will have a group of smart, creative kids and their Moms to guide, teach and help them learn the skills they need to succeed in what ever it is they want.  Shouldn't life always be like that?  The sky is the limit.  They will share and hour long lunch break and during the second part of the day at this beautiful farm, the kids will work as a team to create a documentary about type 2 diabetes.  Yeah, that's all.

     I have been periodically asking the girls throughout the summer what their main project will be, not so they can cement their ideas so early, but so they can think about different ideas until one cements itself in their minds.  Gwen has been rolling the idea of fair trade chocolate around.  Sounds delicious!
 
   Astrid has hopped around from pet sitting to guinea pig agility to a recurring mention of panthers.  Today when I asked again, Astrid said without a doubt that her project was going to be about saving panthers and then looked at me like I was nuts for asking her this question, yet again.  Okay then.

     So we talked about what she can do, how a 7 year old kid could help and what was going on that caused the panthers to need her help.  After discussing urban sprawl, habitat loss and conflicting preditors, we decided to check out Otter John's website.  He is an animal activist and show person who we are lucky enough to see every year while we are visiting Florida, as part of the Marjorie Stoneman Douglas Festival in Everglades City.  She composed, and I typed an email to Otter John, as follows:



Dear Otter John,
    My name is Astrid and I am seven years old.  I saw you three times in Everglades City and I liked looking at all of the animals you brought.  The panther, Harley, was beautiful.
    I am a homeschooler and I am doing this co-op where I have to do a project to help the world.  I chose to help panthers because they are an endangered species and people are building houses where they live.  They have to cut down trees to make the areas to build the houses and it is killing lots of animals that the panthers need to eat to survive.  The animals that they need are disappearing and the panthers are getting hit by cars because people need roads to get to their houses.
     I wanted to know how I could help save the panthers.  I live in Connecticut but we visit Everglades City in the winter and that is when I saw you show all of your really cool animals at the playground.
     Sincerely,
          Astrid

Once the email was sent we moved on to research a little more about the Florida Panther.  Among other interesting facts like the common and scientific names, food, appearance and habitat, we learned that there are only 100 panthers left in the wild in Florida.  100 panthers.  Astrid's eyes grew red as did her face and as she sat there 12 inches from me I could feel the heat from her face as she smiled her Astrid "I'm going to smile because other wise I will cry and I must be strong face".  She became animated and giggly in face, but in her eyes I saw hurt and fury.  She said she felt the way she feels when she learns things like that people eat guinea pigs in Peru.  There was a tear in her left eye but she managed to keep it from trailing down her cheek somehow.  I know I had tears in my eyes.   I just can't wait to see where she goes with this, my passionate little animal lover.  
                                      
 Fri. August 31, 2012.  Otter John wrote back!!!  


Hey Astrid,
Sorry about the delay, I'm still trying to figure out how to use my email on this iPhone... Hahaha...


Anyway, I really appreciate the fact that you want to help the Florida Panther from becoming extinct... To be completely honest, you answered your own question. To save animals, we as a population must save their natural habitat. The thing is, we must save the habitat not only for the Panther, but for the Panthers prey as well. We need to save the habitat which will save all of the animals, the beautiful and the creepy. We need to save the trees, grass, rocks, and water. The best way that I know how to do that is by educating the public about the importance of saving  the planet. "awareness through experience"... To save the animals, we MUST save the planet. The way I like to think
that I do my part is by taking my animals to schools and special
events. When people see the animals up close, it really seems to touch their heart so that I can get my point across.  Anyway, hope that was helpful. Let me know if I can be anymore help. 

Thanks
OtterJohn

Sent from my iPhone

5 comments:

  1. you guys will have a wonderful year! Ryan did a project on the Florida Panthers this past spring for our homeschool zoo group. It is sad that there are not many left.
    We found out that there are cougars here in WA - in fact our house is right next to cougar habitat. Intrigued yet terrified at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I don't know about the cougars there, but there we learned there have been no human attacks in FL. Keep an eye on Heidi, though! Astrid is enthralled. I bet she'd love to hear about Ryan's project.

      Delete
  2. super excited for you — and looking forward to reading about how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh ...that brought a tear to my eye too. She is so incredibly gorgeous (as are all your children). I love the letter too. I would love to document her project on the Huckleberry Hill Project blog. I am so thrilled with how our beautiful children are bursting forth with these wonderful ideas. It is going to be a fantastic year.

    ReplyDelete