Monday, July 9, 2012

JULY!


Traditionally July has been my favorite month because it's my birthday month.  That started it all off when I was a kid.  What's better than a summer birthday party when you are a kid?  I grew up associating summer with birthday cake, (you know how strongly I feel about that), birthday gifts, no school, sprinklers, fire flies, sunshine, fireworks, late nights, summer night sounds and vacations with family...  Now that I'm an adult, my reasons have changed, and maybe even my choice of favorite month, but for the kids July is still magical.  It's only the 9th, but so far so good.   I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the 4 day swim lesson class I signed the kids up for at the beach was actually 12 days!  Wow, 12 days of packing for the beach.  In a row.  I was thrilled to learn that the kids will have a real opportunity to improve their swimming, but 12 days packing for the beach.  Not really my cup of tea.  

Minimalist beach packing list:

4 water bottles
snacks that won't get sandy for at least 3
3 towels
3 buckets with shovels
sunscreen that has to be put on BEFORE you go
beach chair for Mom
8 shoes in proper sizes and matching if possible
checking to see that all have eaten breakfast
tanks emptied BEFORE we get in the car (that's our code for potty)
bathing suits on- matching top and bottoms where possible
ponytail bands
swim vest for the boy

 I know it seems trivial and even ungrateful in idea.  I mean 12 mornings at the beach is pretty nice and we are lucky to be able to do it, but in real life, packing for the beach is crappy.  I won't buy one of those beach cart thingies I see the other Moms with.  I just won't do it.  Well, maybe.
So here are this week or three's pictures. 
Summer visit with pregnant Aunt Wendy and fireworks!

Sparklers on the beach.  Notice Nick has no shoes. 


Practicing gymnastics with Aunt Wendy.  She's a gymnastics coach!


High-fives after completing a new swim skill. 



G's swim class.

A's swim class.

Little man at the library getting Superhero videos and books about saber-toothed tigers!

2 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you all got some quality time with your sister. She does not even look pregnant in that picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the swim class is going well! And yes, you should def get a beach cart. I love mine!

    ReplyDelete